Anime · Anything Japanese

Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia) Season 1

I’ve heard about this anime for so long but didn’t care to watch. Until I was convinced, through the constant tweets/retweets of my friends in twitter about the anime, to watch it. I binge-watched the 13 episodes and thought to myself, just why didn’t I watch this sooner?! 😤

Boku no Hero Academia/ My Hero Academia is about a world where having a “Quirk” is normal with 80% of the world’s population have it. Our protagonist, Midoriya Izuku, is unfortunately part of the remaining 20% that is quirkless. Despite being quirkless, he works tirelessly to become a hero, and eventually earns the attention of his most admired No. 1 Hero, All Might.

Personally, I’m not a fan of superheroes and such. What made me hooked from the first episode is the way the characters were introduced. Midoriya is shown like an underdog in the show from the very beginning. Despite that, he works hard to achieve his dream of becoming a hero like All Might.

This is a shounen anime about a weak kid thriving to be strong  and making friends in the process with the life lessons he learns along the way. A bit cliché if you ask me, but clichés exist because it works for the majority most of the time. The start was a bit slow-paced mostly for the emotional build-up, but what better way to show strength within one’s limitations, than by having the story revolve around characters that put forth their best effort in the face of adversity right? It may seem like any other shounen anime but the variety of characters makes you find someone relatable and all are likable to some extent. Some characters may seem one dimensional for this season but there seem to be a lot of back stories and character development in the future, I believe. The quirks are well thought and interesting, in my opinion.

By the end of the series, I had grown very fond of Midoriya for his enthusiasm and die-hard attitude; and also found myself inspired by All Might, the same man who had inspired our protagonist himself. All Might is one of the best representations of a role model character who’s actually an adult you can look up to in an anime, which is truly something special.

The sound work in the show is fantastic. The OP and ED are both I looked forward to listening every episode. The art is well done and the animation is smooth and enjoyable. Note worthy that this anime is by Bones Studio, very popular for it’s work in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

An emotion-driven anime that is really well done and satisfying, for the most part. I really enjoyed watching Boku no Hero Academia. The show leaves you wanting to see each character succeed and feeling motivated to work hard as well. It won’t hurt to give this anime a try; you might just find your new favorite shounen anime. It’s well worth watching! 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s